I found this bit of information in a daily newsletter called Cable Spots. Pretty interesting! I hope it's true what everyone says and that the economy is getting back on track!
10 Signs the Economy is on the Upswing
- The National Restaurant Association says people are splurging on desserts again.
- Since July 2010, Internet searches for the words "unemployment benefits", "unemployment office" or "social security" has been trending down.
- Starbucks' net revenue fell 6% in 2009 and rose 9.5% in 2010. When times are tight, consumers cut the luxuries, like Starbucks.
- It's a fact that everything arrives in a box. More consumption, more boxes. There's a measure of bulk shipping costs called The Baltic Dry Index and it hit a 22 year low in December 2008. It's been on the rise for a while. And orders for durable goods (which arrives in boxes) have climbed in the past few months.
- When times get tough, men keep their underwear longer. Sales were off 2.5% in 2009 but have stabilized.
- In the big cities, the cab is the way to go, but folks have taken to walking or public transportation... until now. Things are picking up for cabbies, and car sales too.
- During the recession golfers left the clubs in the garage, but those declining numbers stopped in 2010 and in the Mid-Atlantic and New England, increased.
- Vanity is back. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons says 13 million went under the knife last year in search of the perfect look.
- Casinos took a big hit, dropping nearly 10% from 2007, but "the house" will rise about 3% this year.
- Divorce lawyers are very busy these days. The American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers says business for its members was off 37% in 2008 and 57% in 2009. Apparently it's not a good time to buy out your partners' other half during a recession.
The past few years have been pretty tough, especially since I work on commission. Luckily, in my business, hard work pays off and for all the things I lack (athletic ability, interest in domestic duties, etc.), I make up for in hard-work.
One sign my financial state is improving...
I PAID OFF MY CAR THIS MONTH!!!
|Taken the night I bought it 6/22/10. 2010 Honda Fit|